Scoil: Emly (B.) (uimhir rolla 16059)

Suíomh:
Imleach, Co. Thiobraid Árann
Múinteoir:
Tomás Ó Lachtnáin

Scag na scéalta

Taifeach: Íseal | Ard
The Village Hall at Emly

Tagairt Chartlainne

Bailiúchán na Scol, Imleabhar 0580, Leathanach 020

Íomhá agus sonraí © Cnuasach Bhéaloideas Éireann, UCD. Féach sonraí cóipchirt »

Ar an leathanach seo

There is a very large hall in Emly. It is up a lane near the village. It is situated to the north west of the village. There are three rooms in it. It is now used for dances, plays, and other things.
Fr. William Kenneally, who was P.P. of Emly at that time, built it. It was built in the year 1809. At first it was used as a church until 1883. Then St. Ailbe's Church was built. They had only a little thatched church with a floor up to 1809. The hall was then made into a school in 1883.
From 1883 to 1911 it was the National School of Emly. There was a Classical School in one room of it in which boys learned Latin and Greek up to 1916.
There are two priests buried in the hall. Fr. William Kenneally and Fr. Paul Heaney are the names of the two priests. Fr, William Kenneally is buried in the supper room of the hall. There is a holy water font over his grave. Fr. Paul Heaney is buried in the centre of the main hall. His grave was cemented over a few years ago.
There are some very ancient stones in the [?] out of the old churches in Emly. The fonts are very ancient also. There is an ancient crucifix carved in a stone on the wall.

Bailitheoir
Thomas O' Shea
Inscne
fireann
Seoladh
Baile an Bhrianaigh, Co. Thiobraid Árann
Faisnéiseoir
James O' Shea
Inscne
baineann
Seoladh
Baile an Bhrianaigh, Co. Thiobraid Árann
Teanga
Béarla