Scoil: Baile Treasna, Caisleán Mumhan (Ballytarsney) (uimhir rolla 15970)

Suíomh:
Baile Tarsna an Haicéadaigh, Co. Thiobraid Árann
Múinteoir:
Seán Ó Freathaile

Scag na scéalta

Taifeach: Íseal | Ard
Famine Times

Tagairt Chartlainne

Bailiúchán na Scol, Imleabhar 0554, Leathanach 120

Íomhá agus sonraí © Cnuasach Bhéaloideas Éireann, UCD. Féach sonraí cóipchirt »

Ar an leathanach seo

Ballytarsna before the Famine.
Ballytarsna before the famine was a thickly populated district, and there was a village beside the Main Dublin Road, and another in Grange.
Toll-gates
There was a toll-gate at Grange, and it was called the turn-pike. 1/2d was the toll charged to pass with a horse. There was a bridge going into the bog, and a stick was chained across it, to prevent people going in. It was called the Pike Beg.
The ruins of a number of the small houses can still be seen.
The blight.
The blight came in July 1846 when the crop was growing, and very few people had any potatoes in May and June, and they continued growing into November.
Baiten [?]. It was a custom to skin the fields in spring, and the dry sods

(leanann ar an chéad leathanach eile)
Faisnéiseoir
John Dwyer
Inscne
fireann
Aois
75
Gairm bheatha
farmer
Seoladh
Baile Tarsna an Haicéadaigh, Co. Thiobraid Árann
Teanga
Béarla