In primitive times the means of communications to short distances both in Ireland and many other countries were by beaten grass paths much the same as the trails of wild animals in the jungle. But as the world advanced and with it education and the sciences main roads were laid out by civil engineers connecting the cities towns and villages throughout the country. At first the roads were metalled by coarse limestone material and the ground was very rough under foot and rather heavy for the progress of vehicles. To correct this the inventive minds taxed themselves until the present smooth steam rolled roads superseded most of the others.
In the local district the first roads would appear to be made some years after the famine of 1848 and as the people of this country about that time were in woeful want the English government introduced road-making so as to give them a means of sustenance. The main road locally is called the new line and connects Limerick and Cork via Croom, Charleville and Mallow. In the old Limerick to Cork road via Bruff, Kilmallock and Charleville stones on the side of the road called mile stones showed the mileage from each of the cities named and on some points of the road at present those stones are discernable. At O'Rourkes Cross Bruree small wooden crosses are set on a wall to tell of the fatal accidents there from time to time. A couple of hundred yards from Ballygubba a wooden cross is set on the ditch. This cross
Scoil: Brúgh Ríogh (C.) (uimhir rolla 10229)
Scag na scéalta
Ar an leathanach seo