The local hall, used as a cinema, was burned down on the 6th, Sept. 1926.
Forty eight people lost their lives, that night and one more died in hospital a few days afterwards. The hall being built chiefly of wood, with a felt roof, went on fire, throughout, immediately. Those who got out in time and other spectators who arrived on the scene, immediately, had little good to do, as the only exit was the entrance and that was an ordinary door, on the second story, about two and a half feet wide.
This door was led up to by a narrow staircase on the outside of the hall. As this staircase was set on fire when the blazing film was thrown out, nobody could be rescued through the entrance, though some, including woman, jumped over the burning stairs on to the pavement thus saving their lives. When this mode of rescue was cut off by the fire, the spectators procured ladders, set them up to a small window at the back of the hall and rescued many
- Patrick A. O Mahony
- Gairm bheatha