Ar fáil faoin gceadúnas Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Nóta: Ní fada go mbeidh Comhéadan Feidhmchláir XML dúchas.ie dímholta agus API úrnua cuimsitheach JSON ar fáil. Coimeád súil ar an suíomh seo le haghaidh breis eolais.
Ar an leathanach seo
- In this district there stand the ruins of two of the many towers built by the English in 1796. One of these is situated in the townland of Foibbeag. It is built on a high hillock overlooking Bantry Bay and Dunmanus Bay. There is the form of an old wall and the pillars of gates around it. In front of the ruin a huge stone marks a grave in which a soldier is buried.
At that time the soldiers were removed from one tower to another after the space of a few months. The soldiers from this tower had to go to Bantry when the removal took place. On one of these occasions the soldiers were marching to Bantry. Near Ahakista they met a boy driving cattle. They passed on but had gone only about one hundred yards when the boy began to shout. The soldiers instantly turned round and shot the youth. When the French fleet came into Bantry Bay and were dispersed by storms one of the ships the "Patiente" went down outside of Turreen which is at the western end of this point.
The Fianna are also connected with this district. The highest hill in this peninsula is Suide Fionn. On this hill Fionn Mac Cumhall and his army are said to have camped. Forts built by the natives of this locality at the time of the Danes tell us that this district is connected with the Danes. These forts were erected by the people so as to safe-guard themselves from the onslaughts of the Invaders.
Bantry. Co. CorkTras-scríofa ag duine dár meitheal tras-scríbhneoirí deonacha.