In penal times Mass was offered in the Mass pit in Annagh, now called Mount Salen, to the rear of Mr Casey's farmyard.
The Mass Pit in Killeen is situated in a field north of Killeen called the Burying Meadow. There stood many centuries ago the ancient church of Killeen. The holy water font of the church is still to be seen beside the Mass pit, it is a piece of rough freastone with a hollow in it 9" deep and 3" wide. Mass was also offered in the open air near the present chapel of Killanure a few perches from Burke's Cross in John Delaney's land(1905). The holy water font used in the ancient chapel in Killanure was brought to the "Mass station"