The town of Mountrath with its fine looking capacious old houses is of considerable size and over a century ago was a busy hive of Industry, espically in the weaving of stuffs and aminies - the latter a mixture of some grown flax and cotton.
A monastry of of Patrician monks had long been established in Mountrath. A convent for Brigidine nuns was provided on the 18th April 1809 by three sisters who proceeded thither from the mother house in Tullow, Co,Carlow. A fine gothic Catholic Church was erected in this town by Rev.James Dunne P.P. The architect was Clr. John Butter, Dublin. In 1868 there were five or six chapels and meeting houses for Presbyterians, Quakers and Dissenters. In the town are