How Maudlin St. got its name.
In the olden days there used to be hospitals erected for people affected with Leprosy. These were very numerous in Ireland. These were called Maudlins or Magdalins. There is the ruins of one here now. That is how Maudlin St. got its name. It is supposed that two other castles were built there too. The were called "The North Castle of the Magdalens" and "The Black Castle of the Magdalens". There was a Church attached to it for the use of the patients. A gateway crossed the road at the Castle. It was called "St. Magdalens Gate." It used to be gaurded by the men of the town, as one of the Defences of the town.
Scoil: Naomh Eoin, Cill Choinnigh (uimhir rolla 1301)
Scag na scéalta
Ar an leathanach seo