Down to the Reformation the church of Kilkieran was the parish church of the parish of Whitechurch. It is situated in the townland of Castletown, in Irish Baile a' Chaisleán (Town of the Castle) In Irish it is called Cill Ciarán ie. the church of St. Kieran of Ossory. No trace remains of the ancient church; its ruined walls were levelled to the ground, about 1780, and the materials used in the erection of a school a few yards to the north of where it stood. The holy well, called Tubber Cíarán, or Kilkieran's holy well, is a few perches east of the churchyard. Beside it is the holy water font an exceedingly rough block of stone, with a circular bowl 1 ft in diameter, at the top and 6 ins deep.
There are three Celtic Crosses of great antiquity. Two crosses were maliciously broken long ago, but were restored by a blind mechanic in 1858, the mechanic's name was Paddy Laurence, who had accidentally lost his sight, while engaged in the building of the British House of Parliament.