School: Kilcullen (B.)

Location:
Kilcullen, Co. Kildare
Teacher:
Pádraig Ó Broin

Filter stories

Back
/ 20_009 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Old Ruins

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0776D, Page 17_009

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Castlemartin was built by the Fitz Eustace. There was a Catholic Church there, which a non-catholic went to break down, and the first bit he cut with the chisel "flew" and blinded him. After this the chapel was left alone. The castle and church are standing yet, but the church is never used.
The local graveyard was there about 30 years ago. The last man buried in it was Mr. Johnie Ennis of Knockbounce.
In Old Kilcullen a round tower is standing. In 1798 the tower was used (by the Irish) to see if any yeoman were coming. This tower was supposed to be

(continues on next page)
Collector
Seán de Fréins, alternative name John Ffrench
Gender
male
Address
Kilcullen, Co. Kildare
Informant
Mrs Ffrench
Gender
female
Age
42
Address
Knockbounce, Co. Kildare
Language
English