School: Corlis

Location:
Corlis, Co. Cavan
Teacher:
Mrs O' Reilly

Filter stories

Back
/ 202 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Local Roads

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0983, Page 163

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

There are many roads in this district, the main one being the Cavan, Killeshandra road. The Gartinardress road, as it is called, is a branch of the Cavan, Killeshandra road, and meets the Arva, Cavan road at Cornafean cross. The Lahard road is another branch of the main road and joins the Killeshandra, Arva road in Drumbess.
The main road from Cavan to Killeshandra was made in 1846. Another road from Killeshandra to Lahard was made as relief work during the famine but was never finished. The people worked at fourpemce per day, and, being unable to buy boots, wheeled the stones barefooted An old road which joins the main road at Derinacross was in ancient times a coach road. Before bridges were built rivers were crossed at fords. The Erne had fords in the townlands of Slanore, Marahill, and Legaland.
The mass path in this district began in the townland of Drumbess, passed through Lahard and Longhill on to a boreen which was the only road - way leading to Killeshandra. This path can hardly be traced out as the railway demolished it.

Collector
Teresa Robinson
Gender
female
Informant
Mr John Robinson
Gender
male
Age
61
Address
Drumgoon, Co. Cavan
Language
English