Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Candlemaking: Long ago the people peeled all the green skin of a rush leaving nothing but the white part. They dipped this in rendered fat, lit it, and used it for a candle.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- 1. A stitch in times saves nine.
2. He who goes a borrowing goes a sorrowing.
3. A friend in need is a friend indeed.
4. Early to bed, and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
5. All is not gold that glitters.
6. Make hay while the sun shines.
7. Never leave off till to-morrow what you can do to-day.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- A is for almonds for coughs, colds, and chills.B is for Barley it cures many ills.C is for cabbage its good for the skin.D rink Dandelion wine and you'll never be thin.E is for Elder it makes fine face creamF igs cure toothache, if in hot milk they steam.G is for Ginger its good for the gout.H is for Honey it makes you grow stout.I vy in vinegar makes a corn cure.J elly from Carrageens is norishing and pureK is a letter from which I will keep(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.