School: Knocktemple (B.)

Location:
Knockatemple, Co. Cavan
Teacher:
W. Tuite

Filter stories

Back
/ 258 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Pastors of Munterconnaught Chapel

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0998, Page 193

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Father Terence O'Reilly erected Munterconnaught chapel, he died Sept. 22nd 1854. He is buried in the chapel where a tablet has been erected to his memory. He was succeeded by the Rev. Nivholas Conaty as P.P. until 1863 when he was elevated to the Bishopric of Kilmore. In that year he changed the Monsal Parish from Crosserlough to Castlerahan and since then it has remained so.
The first Administrator of Castlerahan and Munterconnaught was the Rev. John Smith, a native of Ballyjamesduff who was transferred from Crosserlough in 1863.
He was Adm. until 1872 when he was succeeded by Rev. Domnick McBreen who was Adm. until 1877. Rev. Peter Galligan was Adm. from 1877 to 1879. The next Adm. was Rev. James Brady from 1879 to 1883. Rev. Patrick O'Connell succeeded in 1883 and in 1897 was appointed P.P.V.G. Drumgoon. His successor was Rev. Bernard Gaffney until 1903 when he was transferred to Lurgan as P.P.V.F. and Rev. Francis McKiernan who had been C.C. in Lurgan was appointed Adm.: In 1908 he was succeeded by the Rev. James Farrelly who was Adm. until 1922 when he was appointed P.P.V.F. Kill and was succeeded by the Rev. Patrick E Mallon who was made P.P.V.F. Swanlinbar 1928 and was succeeded by Rev. Thos. Brady as Adm. He died in October 1930 and is buried beside Castlerahan Chapel, a beautiful Celtic Cross marking his grave. His successor was Rev. John Brady who had been C.C. Castlerahan for some years. He remained

(continues on next page)
Language
English