School: Knocktemple (B.)

Location:
Knockatemple, Co. Cavan
Teacher:
W. Tuite

Filter stories

Back
/ 258 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Munterconnaught Chapel

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0998, Page 190

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

This chapel stands on an eminence about a mile south of Lough Ramor. It is a rectangular building erected by a Rev. Father O'Reilly about the year 1840. The building was complete in 1847 except for roof which was not completed for several years afterwards. The edifice is over one hundred ft. long forty-six ft. wide and thirty two ft from floor to ceiling. It is approached from the Ballyjamesduff, Kells Road by an avenue about fifty perches long which was made by parishioners under the direction of Rev. Father Nicholas [?]. A good lane leads to the chapel from Coronagh and Knocknagarton.There is a tradition that the present chapel is the third on the site. The other two were both very small - the foundation of one was exposed about the year 1888 when excavations were being made for the present belfry - erected by the late Rev. Patrick O'Connell Adm. An old man - Paddy Gillie - Knockaraheen who died about the year 1898 aged 96 years claimed to have been at Mass in each of the three chapels - this would go to show that a small chapel was created after the Chapel in Munterconnaught Graveyard had fallen into disuse after 1612 as referred to by Mr. O'Connell.
The size of the present Chapel gives an idea of the population which must have been in the parish when its erection was commenced. Over four hundred worshippers can easily be seated and as it was intended to put a gallery in it accommodation would then be provided for double that number. The double rows of windows show the intention of including the gallery. When the Famine was over the chapel was much too large for the congregation and the necessity

(continues on next page)
Language
English