Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Arklow castle
There are ruins of an ancient castle in Arklow.It is called the Ormonde Castle and is situated in the upper part of the town behind the court house.It is on a height over the Avoca river.It was built by Theobold Fitzwalter over six centuries ago.He lived in it for a time and when he died in 1285, was buried in the old Abbey graveyard in the town.When one of the Fitzwalter's was made the king's high butler, they changed there name to Butler.They afterwards became Earls of Ormonde,so the castle was known as Ormonde Castle.The Irish chiefs used to attack the castle throughout the country from time to time.The O' Tools and O' Byrnes frequently made raids on this one.It was often damaged by the enemy but escaped from being taken.It was eventually taken by Oliver Bromwell in 1649, who brought heavy cannon to Ireland for the first time.He made havoc of the castle,leaving it in ruins which made it unfit for anyone to reside in.
It is believed that there was a secret underground passage connesting the castle with the abbey in the lwer part of the town.In this way if the castle were surrounded and the attackers were trying to starve them, they(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.