There are two forges in Aughrim. The smith's names are Mr Mick Caulfield and Mr David Traynor. Mr Traynor's father and grandfather were smiths. Mr Caulfield's father was also a smith.
Lord Meath built Caulfield's forge in 1841. It is situated beside the Aughrim river. It has a slated roof. The door is of a horse-shoe shape. There is only one fire-place in it The bellows is a large one, made of leather It is blown by a long stick and a chain It is an old fashioned bellows It is about four feet long.
When the smith is shoeing he used a sledge, a hammer, a vice, a rasp, a punch, pinchers, and a tongs. He shoes donkeys, ponies, and horses.
The smith sometimes makes farm implements such as: ploughs
(continues on next page)
- Eddie O' Byrne
- Cronawinnia, Co. Wicklow