School: Bennekerry, Carlow

Location:
Bennekerry, Co. Carlow
Teacher:
Liam Ó hAodha

Filter stories

Back
/ 472 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Local Roads

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0907, Page 405

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

The road from Benekerry cross to Johnstown Lane was made about a year after the famine. The old road led from the upper part of Johnstown across by Mr. Breen's and Mr. Tracey's, down by Mr. Gorman's house, and on to the Tullow Road. There is a crossroads at Ballyhacket, and on the wall there is a ring fastened. Long ago people would tie a bull there, and set their dogs at him.
In those days a good workman would get fourpence a day.
On a shallow part of the Burrin people used to cross. In 1924 a bridge was built, at the spot which is called the Half-way Ford.

Collector
Mary Kinsella
Gender
female
Address
Bennekerry, Co. Carlow
Language
English