of the seventeenth century in Ballycook and Ballyhacket in the parish of Ratvilly. The lime kilns at Ballcook were situated between Duckett's Grove and Kenagh, and were a mile distance from a public road. There were three or four other lime kilns one on Mr. Redmond's farm, and the other three were on Mr. Twambley's farm. About five hundred years ago these Lime kilns were extensively used.
On this page
In the year 1850 in this district many farmers had lime kilns, and burned lime stone into lime. They used to top-dress their land with the lime that they would burn. When the farmers wanted to get their horses shod they would bring broken spades, and broken forks to the forge to get the horse's shoes made. They also brought nails that would fasten the shoes on the horses' feet. The man who owned the forge was Mr. Curran of Grange. The people also sowed flax and made it into linen. They would