School: Bennekerry, Carlow

Bennekerry, Co. Carlow
Liam Ó hAodha

Filter stories

/ 472 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Bennekerry, Carlow | The Schools’ Collection

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0907, Page 336

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

(continued from previous page)

When a person would be going on a journey he would have to bring five or six axles with him for the asles would break. If it did he would put in a new one.

About ninety five years ago, there was a lime kiln in Palatine. A man by the name of Mr. Brophy owned it. It is now in a ruins. Cart loads of lime used to leave at an early hour in the morning, and may be would not return for the next two or three days. Later it was sold to a man by the name of Mr. Ashmore.

In 1888 or 1889 the people used to gather rushes, and dip them in tallow to make candles and these were called rushlights. Those candles were made by the people in their own homes. The people gathered what ever they required of

(continues on next page)
James Harmon
Rutland, Co. Carlow