In the year 1816 there was an old school on the top of Johnstown hill. There was a teacher teaching there. The children used to bring sixpence every week, and this is how he used to make his living. Only English used to be taught there. The ruins of it are there still.
On this page
There was a school in Burton Hall about 69 years ago. It was indoor. Miss Timmins taught in this school. She did not lodge in the house, but lived in Ballylennon. Her wages depended on her pupils. Every subject was taught as now, except Irish. Writing was done on slates at that time.
About sixty eight years ago there was an old school in Ballylenon. The children around used to attend it. They had to bring a penny a week for the upkeep of the teacher. The teacher's name was Mr. Lennon. There was no Irish spoken, and