About forty years ago a fire broke out in the house of Mr Bruen of Oak Park. It completely destroyed the whole house. Several efforts were made to quench the flames, but in vain. the house was again rebuilt some time after by Mr. Bruen.
On this page
It is believed to be Hugh de Lacy who erected the Carlow Castle. Donal Mac Art captured it, later it was taken by Rory O Moore. In 1650 it was surrendered to Sir Hugh Waller. In 1814 a local doctor fixed upon the old fortress as a suitable site for a Lunatic Asylum. With a view to dimininshing the thickness of the walls he applied gunpowder charges to them and succeeded so well as to knock down a good part of the castle itself. The ruins are still standing beside the bridge over the Barrow in Carlow.
In the year 1934 Browne's Hill farm yard went on fire. All the farmworkers were gone home