Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Magpies: One for sorrow
Two for mirth
Three for a wedding
Four for a birth.Irish people consider it very unlucky to-
1) Bring hawthorn into the house.
2) Meet a red-haired woman on the road.
3) Open an umbrella in the house.
4) Go back for something you forgot if you have already started on a journey.
5) To pull bushes out of rath.
6) To walk under a ladder.
7) To spill the salt.
8) Dream about priests or nuns.
9) Wear green.
10) Break a mirror.
11) To see the new moon through glass for the first moon.
12) Grey at a wedding.
13) To sit thirteen at table.(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.