Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
Garrycastle is situated about 1/4 mile from Banagher on the Birr side of it. The Irish name is Garrida an Caisleain (The garden of the Castle). It was the name then applied to the present barony of Garrycastle with the exception of Lusmagh which belonged to the O'Maddens. It was the chief stronghold of the McCoghlan who was Lord of Delvin Eathra. That was the name of the territory which he ruled. Their is mention of the "Maw" as he was locally called as far back as 1249. In that year the Maw aided by O'Melaghlin (Meath) whose territory joined Maws + Donough Gilpatrick made war on the English.(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.