School: Naomh Bríghid, Blackwater (roll number 7036)

Blackwater, Co. Wexford
Diarmuid Ó Súilleabháin

Filter stories

/ 164 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Killincooley Graveyard

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0886, Page 068

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Killincooley Graveyard is an ancient one in the middle of the townland of the name. It is round in shape and has a good wall of lime and stone separating it from the field on which it stands.
The foundation of the Ancient Church lies buried in it and now and then parts of it are unearthed when graves are opened. There are several old headstones and tombstones marking graves. The oldest date which can be deciphered is 1769 but there are older stones which it is impossibe to read as they are moss covered and broken. All the old families of the locality have graves here and burials are made in it as present.
The "Wart Stones" which are in the graveyard are believed to be the Holy Water Fonts belonging to the Ancient Church. Up to forty years ago the 27th September was kept as a holiday by the people of the parish and the "Patron" was held on that day, The Feast of Saint Micin. The Holy Well which bears the Saint's name is only two hundred yards from the Churchyard.
Of late years the "Patron" is held on the last Sunday in September when the Rosary for the Dead is recited in the Graveyard.