School: Shelbaggan Convent

Location:
Shelbaggan, Co. Wexford
Teacher:
An tSr M. Breandán

Filter stories

Back
/ 058 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Shelbaggan

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0874, Page 042

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

The disitrict or rather townland known as Sheilbaggan forms a very considerable portion of the Dunbrody estates. It is subdivided into four or five smaller districts or townships. Sheilbaggan proper, Rathiar, (which contains two circular mounds called by the natives Danish raths) Ochadray [?]
Sheilbaggan borders on the Tintern estate at Milltown, Ballycroo, Knockea, and Tigh na glock are considerable districts in themselves. They form the remaining portions of Sheilbaggan. Adjoining Sheilbaggan is the ancient Rath[?] with the remains of the ruined church still standing.
The National School at Sheilbaggan was built in 1847, the "Famine year" and was used as a Soup School.

Informant
Patrick Cowman
Gender
male
Address
Ballyhack, Co. Wexford
Language
English
Location
Shelbaggan