School: Shelbaggan Convent

Location:
Shelbaggan, Co. Wexford
Teacher:
An tSr M. Breandán

Filter stories

Back
/ 058 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Ramsgrange Castle

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0874, Page 031

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

There is no mention of the Castle of Ramsgrange in any of the lists of Wexford Castles compiled by Vallancy Hore and others, but the lands were among the possessions of Dunbrody Abbey, in early times we may be certain that it was one of the fortresses, like Killisk and Kilhile which were built to protect the new Anglo-Norman colony on the Irish border by the founder of Dunbrody or his nephew - Geoffrey de Marisco.

In the reign of Henry V111 Dunbrody and its possessions including Ramsgrange were held by James Sherlock of Waterford. The whole estate was afterwards granted to Sir Osberne Etchingham at the annual rent of £3-10-6 although Walter Cowley who had married Catherine, widow of James Sherlock was tenant at the rate of £26-13-4
All the possessions passed to the ancestors of Baron Templemore with the heiress.
During the great rebellion the Castle of Ramsgrange was garrisoned by the Confederates, - Captain Oliver Keating being in command in March 1642.
On the 20th March at one of the frequent skirmishes which took place in the neighbourhood of the

(continues on next page)
Language
English