School: Shelbaggan Convent

Location:
Shelbaggan, Co. Wexford
Teacher:
An tSr M. Breandán

Filter stories

Back
/ 058 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Loftus Hall

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0874, Page 023

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

On the 20th July 1642 Captain Aston came by water from Duncannon with 100 men made a vigorous assault on Redmond's Hall (an ancient castle for many generations, - the chief residence of the Redmond family)

Alexander Redmond then at the advanced age of sixty-eight, with his two sons, a small guard of retainers and servants, defended the Hall. Captain Aston with most of the attacking party lost their lives.
From the time of Aston's attack until the arrival of Cromwell upon the scene in 1649, from whom Alexander Redmond obtained favourable terms, as he was permitted to end his days in his ancestral home.
The Hall and the lands of the Hall containing 140 acres were granted under the Act of Settlement to Sir Nicholas Loftus in 1666.
The Castle and houseland was the first stronghold erected by the Redmonds in the 12th Century, which succeeded as the chief residence of the castle mansion, known as Redmond's Hall down to the end of the 17th Century.

(continues on next page)
Language
English
Location
Loftushall