Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- A peat company was started in Derrymore in 1872. Fifty men and twelve carters were employed. Through bad management this company did not survive long. It closed down in 1875. Derrymore or Daire Mór the big oak adjoins Hyde Park.
Both townlands were formerly owned by a family named D'arcy. On an old By road it connects the Royal Canal is locally known as the Toher (Tochar) is an old thatched house, it did service as a Hydge school. The teacher name was Patrick Reilly generally known as a nickname "Dotty".
He was a native of Cavan. He fought in the civil war in America. He had a pension from that country; he first taught in a barn in Croboy (Crobhuidhe) just over across the border(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.