School: Stackallen (roll number 1309)

Location:
Stackallan, Co. Meath
Teacher:
P.T. Mac Gabhann

Filter stories

Back
/ 163 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Local Ruins

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0714, Page 157

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

There is the ruins of a church and a monastery on the Hill of Slane. King Henry VIII closed the monastery and took the land off the monks. There is a cave in the monastery. A passage is supposed to go from that cave to St. Erk's Hermitage near the Boyne. There is the story of another underground passage from Carrick Dexter castle to this monastery. There is a deep well with no water in it near the monastery. There is a ruined church in Gernonstown grave-yard. It is much older than the church on the Hill of Slane. Nobody knows anything about it. It is very small compared to the churches they have now. The vestry has a stone roof. There is a stone shelf in the wall of the church and there are two bishop's skulls on the shelf. There is too much ivy on the walls to see any carved or inscribed stones. There is another ruined church in Donaghmore beside the round tower. The people round here do not know anything about

(continues on next page)
Collector
Noel Meade
Gender
male
Address
Stackallan, Co. Meath
Language
English