School: Wilkinstown (roll number 1917)

Location:
Wilkinstown, Co. Meath
Teacher:
Máire Ní Failcheallaigh

Filter stories

Back
/ 168 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Wilkinstown | The Schools’ Collection

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0711, Page 124

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

(continued from previous page)

this the newly put on thatch would not last a very long time. Another custom was when a person would be painting he would put a few drops of holy-water through the paint, in order to keep the paint on the walls for a long time.

1. There is a ruined castle in the townland of Clongill in the parish of Oristown. It is not known who built the castle but it was owned by Earl Plunket of Fingall.
There is an old story connected with the castle.
There was an old man living with his wife near the old castle. There was an old well near the ruin and the old man usually came to draw water late in the evening.
He happened to be later than usual one winter evening. When he came to the well he was met by a big, black dog with eyes of

(continues on next page)
Collector
Peter Doggett
Gender
male
Address
Demailestown, Co. Meath
Informant
James Doggett
Gender
male
Address
Demailestown, Co. Meath
Language
English