School: Yellow Furze

Location:
Yellow Furze, Co. Meath
Teacher:
Síle, Bean Uí Leamhain

Filter stories

Back
/ 339 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
How the Parish Church of Knock-Common Came to be Built

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0684, Page 310

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

How the parish church of Knock-Common came to be built.

In the year 1142, A.D. St. Malachy Arch. Bishop of Armagh and primate of all Ireland, brought the first Monks to Ireland.
Donal O'Carroll Prince of Orriel gave them a free grant of Land reaching from the River Mattock to the river Boyne for their sustenance, and upkeep, and they erected on it the great Abbey of Mellifont which for 300 years was the greatest seat of learning, and religious teachings in Ireland.
Some years later about 1150 Morrough Mc Loughlin King of Meath, gave them a similar grant on the South side of the River Boyne reaching from the town of Drogheda to the village of Slane.
Comprising the present Parishes of Rosnaree and Donore placing them under the spiritual charge of the monks

(continues on next page)
Collector
V. Quinn
Gender
unknown
Informant
P. Mullen
Gender
unknown