School: Dromiskin (B.), Dundalk (roll number 837)

Location:
Dromiskin, Co. Louth
Teacher:
James Morgan

Filter stories

Back
/ 452 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Dromiskin and Surrounding Districts

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0665, Page 371

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Dromiskin and Surrounding Districts

The district of Dromiskin, situated in the parish of Darver, extends from the right bank of the River Fane in the north to a stream on the Southern boundary passing through the townland of Dromena, close to the village of Castlebellingham on the main Dublin Belfast road. The sea forms its extern boundary. An artificial embankment, locally called "the rampart", extends along the sea-shore from Lurgangreen, where the Fane enters the bay to Whitehouse (formerly called Lurganwhite or Baltray) a distance of approximately two miles. The "white" and "green" in these names is thought to refer to the colours of the strand skirting Whitehouse and Lurgangreen respectively; Whitehouse strand being comparatively bare and bright while the strand at Lurgangreen presents a green appearance from the wealth of green vegetable matter growing thereon.
The embankment was erected in 1842 by the Clermont family who received a Government grant for the purposes, Lord Clermont being the Landlord of most of the holdings in this district at that time.
As "spring" tides periodically flowed over what was then, and is still, known as the Commons of Dromiskin a great portion of land was thus rendered unsuitable for tillage. The G.N.R.B. had laid down the original main line from Dublin to Belfast but at certain periods part of the line is said to have been washed away by the actio of the tides. The embankment was constructed to relcaim portion of the fore-shore, to prevent

(continues on next page)
Language
English
Location
Dromiskin