School: Dulargy (roll number 13670)

Location:
Doolargy, Co. Louth
Teacher:
James Mc Creesh

Filter stories

Back
/ 051 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Proleek - Bru Leac

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0660, Page 006

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Proleek (Bru Liath)
Comlech
This is an outstanding monument in the district. In consists of three upright stones about eight feet in height supporting an enormous boulder of about 50 tons. It is locally called the giant's load and it is said the giant who put it up got his death of drinking of waters from the river these being poisoned by an enemy. Others say it is a monument over some mighty chieftain of old, but in truth little is known about its origin.
Giant's grave.
About 100 yards from the cromlech is an enclosure in the shape of a grave. It is locally called the "giant's grave" meaning of course that the giant who met his death as the result of the poisoned waters lies in it.

Cille-mhor
This is a name given to a round enclosure on the lands of Bessie Broughtan. It of course means the big church but no trace of a church remains. The late Fr Lawless P.P. told Canon Donnellan that he found mention of this church in state papers in Rome. The adjourning field was the grave yard. This was in course of time cleared of stones and the remains of one vault can still be pointed out. All traces of head stones are gone except one cross on an ordinary stone. In 1826, A.D the handle of a coffin was

(continues on next page)
Language
English
Location
Proleek