School: An Lios Rua, Cill Mháille (roll number 9339)

Location:
Lisroe, Co. Clare
Teacher:
Eibhlín Ní Chonalláin

Filter stories

Back
/ 233 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
The Smith and his Forge

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0608, Page 211

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

211
The Smith and his forge.
14th June 1938.
In this parish there are four forges .The principal one is owned by a man called Michael Eustace and is situated near Kilmaley church.it has a thatched roof and two doors,a small door where the smith goes in and and a larger one through which the horses go.Smith Eustace is a blacksmith and he shoes horses and asses.The main road that leads from Ennis to Kilkee branches there both the north and south.The first townland the southern road branches through is called Cragg.The northern branch goes through Connolly .There is but one fire in the forge ,and no chimney but a pipe out at the end of the forge.
Smith Reidy owns a forge in Connolly .He is not a blacksmith but is called a farrier because he shoes wheels.This is the only work that is done out under the air.Long ago when no

(continues on next page)
Collector
Bríghid Ní Mhurchadha
Gender
female
Informant
Padraig Ó Loinsigh
Gender
male
Age
77
Address
Kilcolumb, Co. Clare
Language
English