School: An Lios Rua, Cill Mháille (roll number 9339)

Location:
Lisroe, Co. Clare
Teacher:
Eibhlín Ní Chonalláin
Browse
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0608, Page 163

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0608, Page 163

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.

Download

Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: An Lios Rua, Cill Mháille
  2. XML Page 163
  3. XML (no title)

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. (no title)

    Very near our school and on the top of the hill ...

    163
    8th February 1938.
    Very near our school and on the top of the hill owned by James Lynch is situated a Lios from which the townland Lsroe gets its name .The reason it is called Red is because the earth under the Lios is red while all the surface of of the surrounding townland is black earth.The parish of Kilmaley is remarkable for the number of forts that are to be found in it and many of them are within sight of each other .These lioses are supposed to be the remains of the earthen walls with which the ancient Irish surrounded their houses to serve as protection against enemies and wild animals.The fact that they were built on hill tops also gave them an advantage over their enemies and when any danger threatened they lighted fires as signals to their neighbours and so word travelled from hill top to hill top .Lioses are are exactly round in shape with one opening which serves as the door.
    Scarcely any traces of the Lios Ruadh now remain or if they do they cannot be
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    Language
    English
    Collector
    Nora Hehir
    Gender
    Female
    Informant
    Mrs Hehir
    Gender
    Female
    Address
    Furroor, Co. Clare