School: Tankerstown (roll number 15304)

Location:
Tankerstown, Co. Tipperary
Teacher:
Thom. F. Meagher

Filter stories

Back
/ 392 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
The Making of Lisgibbon Road

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0575, Page 336

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

The making of Lisgibbon road.
The Lisgibbon road from O'Connell's cross to Ballycarron Cross was made in the year 1847.
The bridge over the river was not built for some years later. The road was made to gibe employment to the working people as they were very badly off, it being the famine year.
They had to work on Indian meal and could not get enough of it to buy.
The wages of the workers were very small only four pence per day.
The man in charge of the men was Henery Devane.
He stayed with a farmer in the locality and got him to go to Clonmel for a Ton of meal as the men were dying of hunger.
The farmer got the meal and the men carried on until the road was finished.
The road was a great boon to the people at the other side of the river as it shortened their journey to Bansha or Tipperary by two or three miles.

Collector
James Heffernan
Gender
male
Address
Barnlough, Co. Tipperary
Informant
Mr William Heffernan
Gender
male
Address
Barnlough, Co. Tipperary
Language
English
Location
Tankerstown