School: Tankerstown (roll number 15304)

Location:
Tankerstown, Co. Tipperary
Teacher:
Thom. F. Meagher

Filter stories

Back
/ 392 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
The Main Road

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0575, Page 334

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

The Main Road
The Main Road between Waterford and Limerick and which passes by here was built during the Famine years 1847 and 1848. A large number of men were employed at five pence per day to construct it. Although the wages were small they prevented people from dying of hunger. Before the road was made the people had no proper roads they had to travel old rocky boreens without bridges.
The men worked in batches under a ganger building the fences, while farmers with horses drew the gravel and the stones to build the bridges.
A man named James White of Killaldriffe was the local ganger: he worked on the road for a half a century after the road was made.

Collector
Liam Dalton
Gender
male
Address
Ballymorris, Co. Tipperary
Informant
Mr James Dalton
Gender
male
Address
Ballymorris, Co. Tipperary
Language
English
Location
Tankerstown