Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- The Camp Road.
About a mile to the south of Ardfinnan there is a district called Neddans. It is beside the River Suir and there is a ford here crossing the river. Neddans was once a parish but is not now. The remains of the old parish church can still be seen. In Neddans there is a very large field close to the river and known locally as the Camp Field. The road leading from Ardfinnan to Neddans is called the Camp Road. In the year 1779 a large English army was camped in this field at Neddans for a lengthy period and this is the explanation of the names given to the field and the road. The following regiments were in camp here at the time:-
19th, 30th, 32nd, 36th, 66th and 67th, Regiments of Foot and 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 13th, 14th, and 18th Regiments of Dragoons.(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Nellie Ryan