Wooden Bridge on the road from Goatenbridge to Clogheen. First built in 1840 and was made of stone. Two years later the new road to Clogheen was made. The date was inscribed on the 1st bridge in Roman Letters MDCCCXL. Those letters are still on the stone. It was only up about 20 years when it was knocked by a flood. One of the upright pillars was being always undermined by the water. a wooden bridge was then built and it was replaced this year (1938) by an iron and cement bridge.
The stone with Roman Letters is fitted into the side of the bridge and the full inscription is:- Glan Gool Erected by the Grand Jury Samuel Jones Esq C.E. MDCCCXL.
Some of the stones that were used in the first stone bridge were found in the bottom of the glen and were taken up and mixed with cement and used in the new bridge, 1938.
This bridge newly built this year (1938) has been called Glen Gowley Bridge always as far as we know. However the stone of the 1st bridge built in 1840 was found in the water this year and contains the inscription above: It is Glan Gool.
The old road to Clogheen was at the foot of the Mountain (Knockmealdown) and ran south west and came out at a place called Droicidín Póil.