School: Rahelty, Dúrlas Éile (roll number 4513)

Location:
Rahelty, Co. Tipperary
Teacher:
Tadhg Mac Domhnaill
Browse
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0553, Page 147

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0553, Page 147

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.

Download

Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Rahelty, Dúrlas Éile
  2. XML Page 147
  3. XML “Election of First Town Commissioners”
  4. XML “Thurles Guardians in 1848”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. (continued from previous page)
    Thurles workhouse was begun to be built in 1840. Mr Denis Leahy brother of Archbishop Leahy was the contractor. The workman got 10d a day and the tradesmen 2/6. The first pauper to enter it was a man named [Creal?]
    Part of the Market House was once a jail in charge of one Jerry Crowe a turnkey [hiers?], who often levelled a man with a stroke of the key. Grant the outlaw was in it. On the Main st at tthe end of the Market House, were stocks, used then and later.
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
  2. Thurles Guardians in 1848
    John Craven Carden, chairman John Trant, George Ryan, John Lanigan, James Lanigan, Charles Webb, S. Cooke, J. Burke, W. Blake, Andrew Ryan, W. B. Armstrong and W. Laffan.
    For a week they had to assist 15,019 and gave them Indian Meal. In the poorhouse at the same time were 1170 and in the fever hospital 90. A Mr. P.B. Ryan, The Racecourse, told the guardians that the standhouse was now ready to receive paupers. Each pauper was allowed one stone of meal each week and an
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    Language
    English