School: Cill Chuimín, Durlas Éile (roll number 12538)

Kilcommon, Co. Tipperary
Donnchadh Ó Cuinnéain
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0542, Page 361

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0542, Page 361

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Cill Chuimín, Durlas Éile
  2. XML Page 361
  3. XML “A Romance of a Road”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. Prior to 1832 there seems to have scarcely been any roads here or very poor ones just mountain passes. There was one road leading from Nenagh to Tipperary and passing by Curreeny and Kilcommon. Most of this road remains yet.
    Some time about 1826 there lived here a Parish Priest Father Edward Walsh. He lived in the old Parochial House a building which was partially thatched and partially slated and situated at the Back of the Present Parochial House. He seems to have been a genial, generous, witty old man. It is said that when addressing his letters he gave his address :-
    “ From Our Mountain Prison
    ( Date ) In the Sixth Year of Our Captivity “
    This shows his sense of Humour
    Some time about 1825 or ‘26 Lord Dunally and the Marquis of Anglesey were on a hunting expedition in the mountains. Night and a fog fell and they lost their way. They wandered
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. objects
      1. man-made structures
        1. public infrastructure
          1. roads (~2,778)