School: Cill an Daingin, Nenagh (roll number 6658)

Location:
Killadangan, Co. Tipperary
Teacher:
Pádraig Ó hOgáin

Filter stories

Back
/ 252 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
The Old Graveyards

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0534, Page 117

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

There are five graveyards, in this parish, one in Cloughprior, Monsea, Kilodiernan, Dromineer, and Knigh.
None of the graveyards are round in shape - they are oblong.
In the middle of the Cloughprior graveyard there is a mound. It is in the part where the protestants are buried. This mound up to a few years ago was growing nothing but weeds. Mr. Waller got it tilled, and sowed daffodils there.
There are some very old tomb stones in Cloughprior some dating back to 1,847, 1,786, and 1,736. In 1736 a man named James Hogan of Ashley Park who was evicted in the Penal times by a man named White was buried in Cloughprior. The tomb-stone bears the inscription; Sacred to the memory of James Hogan formely of Ashley Park who died

(continues on next page)
Collector
Sally Darcy
Gender
female
Address
Rockview, Co. Tipperary
Informant
Mrs Darcy
Gender
female
Age
50
Address
Rockview, Co. Tipperary
Informant
Mr Darcy
Gender
male
Age
55
Address
Rockview, Co. Tipperary
Language
English