1. A candle is lighted and placed on the window by the youngest member of the family on Xmas Eve. Houses are decorated with Holly and Ivy.
2. On St Stephen's Day boys dress up and go from house to house collecting money. They sing and dance and play music generally on the melodeon and fiddle.
3. On St. Brigids Eve a ribbon is hung out, and then kept for a headache.
4. St. Patrick's Day people wear shamrocks, boys and girls home made harps.
5. Shrove Tuesday. Pancakes are made. Long ago a great quantity of bacon was put down and a piece of the fat kept. This was hung up during Lent with a cross made of straw. On Easter Saturday this was taken down and kept to cure sores on cows ??.
6. Ash Wednesday, people go to Mass and get ashes on their foreheads.
7. 'Chalk' Sunday, the first Sunday of Lent, the boys and girls who are unmarried are chalked. This is dying out.
8. People eat many eggs on Easter Sunday morn.