Count de Salis
Charles Fane of Basilden, who inherited the Lough Gur property from the Bourchiers ~ already referred to in No. 11 ~ was created in 1718 Viscount Frane and Baron of Lough Gur.
His only son Charles died without issue in 1782 when his estates devolved on his sisters descendants of whom Mary married James, Count de Salis and Dorothy married John, Earl of Sandwich.
A division of the property was made after some years ~ by Act of Parliament 1802 ~ between Peter Count de Salis and the Earl of Sandwich. The Lough Gur estate fell into the hands of the Count de Salis and he proved himself a kind and just landlord to his tenants.
He was well known for his leniency to his tenants. He built many houses in his estates and the tenants afterwards became the
(continues on next page)