Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Clochar na Toirbhirte, Eóchaill
- XML Page 124
- XML “Place Names - Foxes Lane”
- XML “Place Names - Moll Goggin's Corner”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Foxes Lane: Long ago two men were hunting over the ferry. The people here had never seen a fox. So the men brought the fox back with them in their boat. He escaped from them and ran up a lane. For that reason it is now called Foxes Lane.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Moll Goggin's Corner. Is situated at the top of the train hill out the strand. Long ago a witch lived out there in a small cottage.
She practised witchcraft.
On a certain day she put three eggs on the frying pan and one egg hopped out she said one man gone. When another egg hopped out she said two men gone and when the third egg hopped out she said three men gone. Three men were drowned that day. The end of her was that she was banished in a ball of cotton wool. Her house was blown into(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.