Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Cnoc na Biolaraighe
- XML Page 108
- XML “Old Methods of Cooking - Griddle Cakes”
- XML “Old Methods of Cooking - Stirabout”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Long ago before bastible's were invented, the people used to bake the cake's in a griddle. The griddle was made of iron it was two feet long and two feet broad and it was about 1/8 of an inch thick and it had one handle about five inch's long and three inch's high. When they used to bake a cake, they used to make it the size of the griddle. At that time it was mostly all turf fires the people used to have. Then they used to put a brand on the fire and they used to put the griddle on that, Then they used to put the cake on the griddle and cut it in four squares, because if they did'nt cut it they could'nt turn it.[Drawing of the griddle]Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Long ago stirabout was very much in fashion. There was a big pot of it boiled for pigs and cattle. People used to eat it at least once a day. It was made of(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.