Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Cnoc na Biolaraighe
- XML Page 098
- XML “The Punishment of a Priest Hunter”
- XML “Another Story of Priest Hunting”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)never more to be opened and the room is there to this present day and the door and the windows closed and all the beetles were supposed to be there and it is said that now and then you would see a beetle creeping up and down a hole there.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Long ago there was an priest invited to a great feast which was given by a priest hunter called Bowen Coldhurst of Blarney. When the priest came to the feast they tried to seize him. They made him go into a big room where the feast was held and when he went in he was followed by a great crowd of people. Then the Coldhurst's caught him and held him. He then sent some of the men out in the field to catch the hunters and bring them into the yard where the priest was and to harness them and to carry them out in the field. Then they carried the priest out in in the field withe the horses and they tied a leg of the priest to each horse and left the horses go, thinking that the priest would be torn asunder by the horses. But the horses walked away as if they were ploughing and when they went over the first fence the horses or the priest were never seen any more. Then the Coldhursts never interfered with any priest after that day and the people that were looking on when the priest was tied to the horses were all astonished for they thought that the horses would(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.