Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Cnoc na Biolaraighe
- XML Page 097
- XML “The Story of Sheela Bhuí na Scian and Her Buried Treasure”
- XML “The Punishment of a Priest Hunter”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)in it. As there were several passages Fr Barry advised people not to chance going into it so it was again forgotten.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Long ago there was an old gentleman called Mr Ward in a town land called Grenagh. He was a priest hunter.
One day an old priest was taking a short cut across his fields to a station on horseback. He was stopped by Mr Ward and made come off his horse. The man then started to beat him with a whip and threatened to shoot him.
Then he said that he would give him this chance. Then the priest went away and said nothing. Then the man went into his tea and when he started to eat he could not eat with blacbeetles. They used to creep up his hands and into his cup and he used to make the servants eat with him at the same table to know if they would go to the servants' cups but they would not go near them. Then he left the place and went to America and he was hunted out of the hotels and had to come home again but the blacbeetles were still with him. So there was a young priest called Fr Noonan and the man asked him to know if he would take away the blacbeetles and he would give him seven acres of land and that he would build a new house for him if he took them away. So he shut one room door and said(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.