School: Cill Bheoláin (B.), Áth an Mhuilinn, Ráth Luirc

Location:
Kilbolane, Co. Cork
Teacher:
Tadhg Ó Séaghdha

Filter stories

Back
/ 227 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Cill Bheoláin (B.), Áth an Mhuilinn, Ráth Luirc | The Schools’ Collection

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0369, Page 208

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

(continued from previous page)

Acts the occupying tenant purchased the estate. The Castle was owned by Mr. John P. O'Leary who died a few years ago. Mr John O'Leary is the present owner.
(Castleishon Castle is about two miles from Milford but it is not in this school area.)

The Teampaillín: The old name was Teampaillín na Móna.
In the townland of Kilbolane (Milford, Ráth Luirc) are the remains of a small building called the Teampaillín. The wall & gables still stand in about an acre of ground which is well fenced. It is commonly supposed to have been a Chapel of Ease of the Bowen's & some members of the family appear to have been buried there. People saw coffin's exposed within the walls. There are two skulls under an arch in the building. On some few occasions in former times still-born children were buried there, the last in 1860.

Informant
Mr M.J. Murphy
Gender
male
Address
Milford, Co. Cork
Informant
Mr John Watson
Gender
male
Age
53
Address
Milford, Co. Cork
Language
mixed