School: Cill Bheoláin (B.), Áth an Mhuilinn, Ráth Luirc

Location:
Kilbolane, Co. Cork
Teacher:
Tadhg Ó Séaghdha

Filter stories

Back
/ 227 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Local Monuments

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0369, Page 191

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

The only local crosses and monuments are found in the local graveyards & in the yard of the Milford R.C. Church (in memory of the local P. Priests).

In part of the wall of the ruin of the old Protestant Church in Ballinakill graveyard, Milford, Ráth Luirc, there is a slab of stone, on which are the inscription "This is the burial place of the Synans", the family arms & the date 1442. The Protestant Church was built by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1892. When digging the foundation, the lab referred to was unearthed & inserted in the wall of the Church.

Informant
Mr M.J. Murphy
Gender
male
Address
Milford, Co. Cork
Language
mixed